January 31, 2014

Films I Like, But Everyone Else Hates

For The Fan Presents:

5 Films I Like, That You Probably Hate

Follow Us On Twitter
@4thefan
@4thefanmovies


When talking about film you tend to bring up movies that were complete and utter brilliance. You mention in detail films that changed the way we look at how the art form is done today. You probably even go on copious amounts of rants and tangents explaining how said film has inspired you in various ways.

I on the other hand, do the exact opposite.

To me these conversations tend to lose their interest. I do in fact enjoy them, but I feel you end up spewing same points and bullets over and over again. Why not bring up films you enjoy for the sake of enjoying? Whether they be good or bad bring them up. That is exactly what I'm going to do.

I have for you all a list of the top 5 films I like that most people tend to hate. Check it out HERE:


1. Spawn (1997)


A couple years ago I decided to go back and watch Spawn and to my surprise it was it a lot more awful then I had remembered. The story was bland, the acting was completely cheesy, and the overall production value was far from good. A midst all this awfulness I still found that I had the same feeling that had filled my heart as a kid. I still found the action to be badass and every time the suit was shown I could not help but jump out of my seat. You may ask, "Anthony, I thought you said the movie was terrible." Yes. It is in fact a terrible movie, but because of nostalgia and sentimental value this film still and probably always hold a place in my heart.

2. Batman & Robin (1997)


1997 seems to have followed a pattern, The Year of Terrible Movies. Which I to some extent agree with. Batman & Robin is deemed to be one of the worst movies of all time. Yeah, I can see how it is considered bad, but I loved it. To me it captured the essence of what a comic book is. It's as if I opened up a comic and watched as the panels came to life. The film was quirky, colorful and all around fun. I do acknowledge how bad this film actually was and how it lacked an resemblance to that of the comics, but tend to overlook that when I realize how much fun I had with this film growing up. AND George Clooney as Batman wasn't all that bad. Arnold on the other hand caused this film to receive the cold shoulder.

3. House of The Dead (2003)


Remember going into your favorite arcade or pizza restaurant and spewing an inane amount of quarters into The House of The Dead game? Well, so do I. I remember hearing about a movie coming out that was supposedly based on the game. I was excited. I waited for it to come out on DVD, popped it in, and watched it. 90 minutes of my life completely wasted on a film that wasn't even loosely based on the game. The only similarity was the title and they managed to screw that up as well. Despite it's lack of anything good I will say I found myself laughing and cringing more than not. I repeat there was not one good aspect of the film, but I walked away not wanting to kill myself. Years later I re-watched it and discovered that it was not as bad as I remembered. Still bad, but not as bad. Again I re-watched it and found myself laughing even more. I'll still admit to it being a terrible film, but I have had more fun with the film than not.

4. Howard The Duck (1986)


As a kid my dad used to always show me films making some of them my favorites one of those being The Evil Dead. Other times he showed some films that were... not so great. Howard The Duck is probably one of the most disturbing children's movies out there. Again, it has nothing to do with the comic it is based on. When I first watched it I will admit I hated every minute of it. I'm not even sure if I watched all the way through. Years later I re-watched it like I do with most movies. And this time I still found it completely disturbing, but I left with a different result. This time I actually finished it and at the same time enjoyed. This film is one those cases that it is so bad, it's good. Well, it depends on how you define "good." Even though this movie is complete and utter crap I do enjoy it. It is a film you can watch years later and just enjoy it for the piece of crap that it is.

5. Spider-Man 3 (2007)


I know what you're thinking. I'm not here to defend this film or change your mind about it. We ALL know why this film was bad. It's as if they took a turd and called it a movie. I am completely aware of this, but I love Sam Raimi and what he was doing with the trilogy. It is sad really. This film wasn't actually the film that he directed, but what the studio wanted. I don't have much to say about it, but I feel it should be on the list any way. If there is one thing to be said we really have to handle all comic book, literature, and whatever adaptations with care. 

There you have it. My list of 5 films I like that most people hate.

Do you agree with some of my picks? What are some of your guilty pleasures? Let us know below. We would love see what your list contains.

Written by Anthony Centeno

No comments:

Post a Comment