November 20, 2013

Comic Review: Harley Quinn #000

For the Fan Presents:

Harley Quinn #000 - Comic Review

Be sure to follow us on Twitter!

@4theFan
@4theFanMovies


Publisher: DC Comics
Title: Harley Quinn #000
Price: $2.99
Writers: Amanda Connor, and Jimmy Palmiotti
Artists(17): Charlie Adlard, Art Baltazar, Becky Cloonan, Darwyn Cooke, Tony S. Daniel, Sam Kieth, Bruce Timm, Jim Lee, Stephanie Roux, Tradd Moore, Chad Hardin, Adam Hughes, Dave Johnson, Dan Panosian, Jeremy Roberts, Walter Simonson

The beloved Batman villain and former Arkham Asylum psychotherapist, Harleen Quinzel, or "Harley Quinn" has her own solo title as a part of DC's "The New '52." After a huge controversy regarding a contest DC hosted, asking amateur artists to draw a panel depicting Harley naked in a bath tub with electronic appliances plugged in and dangling above her, fans have been excited to see one of their favorite female villains get her own title. But did it live up to expectations? 

Story Summary 

This is going to be a really quick summary because honestly, not much happened in this book. Throughout the entire book Harley Quinn is in a dream about having her own comic title in which she teams up with the writers to find an artist for her new monthly title. The whole book is a montage of different artists drawing Harley Quinn in different situations. It isn't until the end of the book that we get some sort of story. At the end, a man (who just so happens to look like Walter While) pulls up in a fancy car and tells Harley that one of her former patients from Arkham recently died and left her a four story house. 

Review of the Book

Before I start the review, let me just say... I HATE THE NEW HARLEY QUINN RE-DESIGN! She may be sexy but PLEASE! Give us the original Harley back! Okay... Now on with the review!

Though I do not read a lot of DC comic books, one thing I have always loved from DC was Batman's villains. Just something about them always intrigued me. One of my favorites being Harley Quinn. When I heard that she was getting her own comic title I automatically knew right off the bat that I would be adding this book to my pull. She's absolutely insane and I love that! Harley Quinn #000 was, well... Quite interesting to say the least. The forth wall was broken the entire book and made me feel like I was reading an old school Deadpool book. (am i allowed to mention Marvel books in a DC review? Oh well.) Which is not a bad thing at all! Though this book had absolutely no story line I actually really really enjoyed it and thought that it was just a fun book to read. When it comes to the writing, I can't really complain about it to be honest. I wanted a fun book showcasing Harley Quinn, and that's exactly what I got. Even though I did not gain anything at all from it. I am very excited to see how the writers do on this book when it is actually following a story arc and there is actually things happening, instead of the writers just writing a crazy fun book. Though, I do hope this title stays crazy and fun, maybe with just a little less breaking of the forth wall. The art in this book is again, really really hard to critique since there were 17 different artists. Some were better than others, but none of the art made me go "well that looks like crap." Which is really good in my opinion. I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to have issues with this book since the "controversial" panel wasn't even in the book, and because this book didn't really follow a story line or advance anything, but that's really what I liked about this book. It was just a book for fun and having a fun read. I am very disappointed though that DC pulled that panel. Overall, I really enjoyed this issue and am insanely excited to see how this series pans out!

Pros, Cons, and Rating    

Pros: It's fun, it's entertaining, and it will put a smile on your face
Cons: No real story, and the costume re-design is stupid

Rating: 8/10. Solid book. Nothing too special yet, but it was just an overall fun read

No comments:

Post a Comment