January 15, 2014

Comic Review: Nova #012

For the Fan Presents:

Nova #012 - Comic Review

Be sure to follow us on Twitter!

@4theFan
@4theFanMovies


title: Nova #012
price: $3.99
publisher: Marvel Comics
writer: Gerry Duggan
artist: Paco Medina

Story/Premise

Hot on the trail of the missing Nova Corps, Nova and manages to save the lives of some new friends in deep space.

Review of the Book

I started reading Nova back on issue #07 because of the Superior Spider-Man appearance but ended up loving the character of Sam Alexander, and loved the way the book was structured. I then picked up the book during Infinity because two of the issues were tie ins so I wanted to see exactly how much it would actually tie into the story. THEN I found out that Gerry Duggan(current Deadpool writer) was going to be taking over the series so I decided to read it monthly as it would come out. I have to say, I believe that Gerry Duggan does a great job, especially in this issue, of characterizing Sam and further developing him as a young hero, and just a person in the Marvel Universe. Issue #012 was a fun ride that takes place completely in space and to me, felt heavily like Sam had entered the Star Wars universe. There were tons of aliens, a large space battle, and that perfect amount of sci-fi and super hero realism. One of the issues I had with this issue though was in the very beginning when Sam encounters the Nova hunter, Cadivan. Based on issue #11 I expecting Cadivan to play a large role and there to be some crazy battle between Sam and Cadivan. Instead, we got, what I felt was portrayal of what could have been something epic. In issue #11 Cadivan was shown to be almost as a Kraven the Hunter type of character, but in this issue, he seemed very timid and weak. It could quite possibly be that way because Duggan wants us to feel like Cadivan doesn't  care about Sam, but when Sam proves himself sometime down the line, the hunter realizes that Sam's helmet is an applicable and good trophy to have. Or, it just might have been mis-representation, or me expecting to much. The major part about this book that I really enjoyed was the scene where Sam finds the old broken down Nova ship, that turns out to be *spoiler warning* a space pirate ship *spoiler over* and ends up helping them escape from the good guys. I felt like it was a great twist and sets up the encounter with Beta Ray Bill, which is set to happen next issue. The art in this book has consistently been good and has a total Marvel-esque feel to it. Nothing special, but definitely not bad and fits in with the universe.  As I said earlier in the review, Gerry Duggan has really brought a new charm to the character of Sam Alexander and I can't wait to see how much Sam learns, when he comes face to face with Beta Ray Bill!

Why to Buy & Rating:

WHY TO BUY!
Fun story, great space/sci-fi adventure, great characterization/development, good writing

RATING: 8/10 (B+)


No comments:

Post a Comment