February 12, 2014

She-Hulk #001 - Comic Review

For the Fan Presents...

She-Hulk #001 - Comic Review!

Be sure to follow us on Twitter! 

@4theFan
@4theFanMovies


title: She-Hulk #001
publisher: Marvel Comics
price: $2.99
writer: Charles Soule 
artist: Javier Pulido



Story/Premise

JENNIFER WALTERS IS…THE SHE-HULK! A stalwart Avenger, valued member of the FF, savior of the world on more than one occasion, she's also a killer attorney with a pile of degrees and professional respect. A 7-foot-tall drink of cool, emerald water, she's tough enough to knock out Galactus with one punch (possibly?) and has a heart bigger than the moon. But juggling cases and kicking bad guy butt is starting to be a little more complicated than she anticipated. With a new practice, a new paralegal and a mounting number of super villains she's racking up as personal enemies, She Hulk might have bitten off a little more than she can chew…but she just calls that that Tuesday.

Review of the Book

She-Huilk #1. I didn't expect too much from this book and honestly wasn't too sure what to expect. I know very little about She-Hulk so going into this book I was very blind to what it would be about. Boy am I glad I went in blind because I actually ended up enjoying this book. There are some very positives and some negatives to it. Let's start things off with the positives. The writing and characterization from writer Charles Soule is brilliant. I was actually connecting quite well with Jennifer Walters which is surprising to me because I find it a bit difficult to connect with most heroines due to some of the horrendous writing comes along with them. Soule does the complete opposite of what most heroine writers do and he took She-Hulk down to everyday life other than just making her a bad ass chick that can kick some ass! Though this book does lack when it comes to action sequences, it doesn't damage the fact that it's a super hero book. It really feels like "Super Hero's Day Off", and I loved it! As much as I love watching super heroes kick some bad guy butt, it's incredibly nice and a breath of fresh air when it comes to book. The art in this book is about average with the exception of this absolutely gorgeous and perfect two pages that introduce the character Legal. Some of the art in the book didn't feel like it flowed correctly. For example, Jennifer would be draw gorgeously and then the background images would feel a bit rushed or vise versa. With that being said, it did flow and the art complimented the writing very well. Also, just a side note, to me Jennifer looks just like the Jolly Green Giants sister! The last positive I want to address also comes with the great characterization we got from Soule and it has to do with the character "Legal." Oh my god! This character felt so irritating and annoying to me which was absolutely perfect! I felt exactly what Jennifer was feeling in the book and it brought me in even further to the reading experience. To me personally, Legal was the greatest part of this book and was absolutely hilarious and a total nuisance. Now, my least favorite part of reviews. The negatives. There really weren't too many negatives in this book but there were a few. To me the negatives were just in the story itself. I feel like it's a great book for new readers to the She-Hulk story but as the same time I didn't give a shit about who Jonas Harron was because though his story was given in the story, I didn't feel any attachment to him or his wife and could really care less about them. So when I say there were issues with the story, all I mean it that I would've liked to have felt more connected to the sub characters as well.

Rating & Why to Buy

WHY TO BUY!
It's a different take on a super hero book and gives you something fun and exciting

RATING:  8/10(B)

Written by Matt Skajem

No comments:

Post a Comment