February 19, 2014

The Punisher #002 - Comic Review

For the Fan Presents...

The Punisher #002 - Comic Review

Be sure to follow us on Twitter!

@4theFan
@4theFanMovies


title: The Punisher #002
publisher: Marvel Comics
price: $3.99
writer: Nathan Edmondson
artist: Mitch Gerads

Story/Premise

For years, The Punisher has waged a war on crime in New York City with an array of very large guns, but a lead on a major source of drugs, weapons, and more has set his many sights due west. NOW! Frank Castle's in the City of Angels, looking to give the devil his due. Things aren't all they appear, though, with a highly trained military hit squad hot on Frank's tail. Caught between a posse of Punisher predators and targets of his own one-man-war, Frank's manifest destiny may be a shallow grave!



Review of the Book

Two weeks ago I was praising Edmondson's and Gerads' first issue of the all new Punisher but I voiced my concern of how I am curious to see how this book works as an ongoing series. Again, I am left with that concern. This issue for the most part was a set up issue and what I would have expected from the first issue versus the second. In this book we get a lot of setup with where the story will be going and we saw who the first antagonist for Frank Castle is going to be. The art in this book is exactly the same as the previous issue. It really fits the style of what the writing is going for, so both the writing and the art compliment each other very nicely. I did like this issue, but for me I found it a bit boring. It was lacking the intense action that the first issue (which now feels like a one shot) had, and I don't know about everyone else, but when I read a book starring The Punisher I want intense gory action. I think that this was due to the fact that this book is a setup for whats to come. My favorite villain showed up at the end of this issue, so I'm really excited to see how Frank is able to compete against him. Overall, The Punisher #002 is enjoyable but not memorable. Where it succeeds in character development, it lacks in action to draw you in and make you want to continue reading. For me personally, I would have liked those two elements to be more balanced, especially for one of Marvel's most brutal and gory characters.

WHY TO BUY & RATING:

WHY TO BUY!
It really sets up what the series is going to be in a nutshell, and has good character development for the supporting cast in this book. Only issue I really had with it was that it was a bit slow for me and lacked the intense gory action that The Punisher needs.

RATING: 7/10(C+)

Written by Matt Skajem

No comments:

Post a Comment